By Michael L Hecht
A new integrative conceptual version of prejudice - the layered viewpoint of cultural intolerance - is gifted within the quantity. This version is used to investigate the conversation of prejudice in various guises reminiscent of racism, sexism, homophobia, ageism and classism. Drawing on multidisciplinary views, the 1st chapters current the version and theoretical starting place for the booklet. next chapters learn particular foci of prejudice together with own prejudice in relationships, firms, and the media. a sequence of non-public narratives are integrated to demonstrate particular forms and situations of prejudice.
Read or Download Communicating Prejudice PDF
Similar discrimination & racism books
This number of 13 essays, edited through historian W. Fitzhugh Brundage, brings jointly unique paintings from 16 students in a number of disciplines, starting from theater and literature to background and song, to deal with the complicated roles of black performers, marketers, and shoppers in American mass tradition throughout the early 20th century.
This assortment is the 1st to check the existence reports of younger grownup immigrants in Europe, as transmitted via the teens themselves, and including the analytical framework, seeks to discover mechanisms at paintings in those members' lives.
This assortment addresses the ways in which Nordic nations have approached the difficulty of bringing ethnic minorities into the societal mainstream. With multicultural incorporation as an alternative, the authors discover the capability influence of the politics of identification in societies with social democratic welfare states dedicated to redistributive politics.
The exchange in slaves is likely to be the main infamous function of the period of ecu growth. even though began in precedent days, and endured good after 1800, within the early glossy interval there constructed a selected nexus within which it boomed. This quantity distinguishes among procurement and exchange, and the exploitation of settled slaves (the topic of a separate quantity within the sequence, edited via Judy Bieber), and underscores the significance of the slave alternate as an element in international heritage.
- The Rise and Fall of Philanthropy in East Africa: The Asian Contribution
- The Crisis of the Negro Intellectual Reconsidered: A Retrospective
- Inventive Politicians and Ethnic Ascent in American Politics: The Uphill Elections of Italians and Mexicans to the U.S. Congress (Routledge Research in American Politics and Governance)
- Segregated Miscegenation: On the Treatment of Racial Hybridity in the North American and Latin American Literary Traditions (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- Digesting Race, Class, and Gender: Sugar as a Metaphor
- Diversity and Inclusion in Higher Education: Emerging perspectives on institutional transformation (International Studies in Higher Education)
Extra info for Communicating Prejudice